CBBS Week 1 Notes
Sources in the Pentateuch (1st Five books of the Bible)
– Here is a general overview of the sources that scholars believed were used to write the first five books of the Hebrew Bible. This also contains an example on how to recognize the sources in Scripture.
Nolan did some research for us also here is his summary:
- the Yahwist source ( J ) : written c. 950 BC in the southern Kingdom of Judah.
- the Elohist source ( E ) : written c. 850 BC in the northern Kingdom of Israel.
- the Deuteronomist ( D ) : written c. 600 BC in Jerusalem during a period of religious reform.
- the Priestly source ( P ) : written c. 500 BC by Kohanim (Jewish priests) in exile in Babylon.